Saturday, January 2, 2010

I miss Chandler & Joey

(first published 12/20/09)
There's no comedy on t.v. that impresses me. I watch some random shows randomly but there's nothing that now captivates my attention as much as "Friends" did. That was my show, my co-workers' show, my siblings show, my fiances'-then-husband's show, everyone's show. We all watched it and loved it and laughed about it all over again - thinking about it was we got ready for bed, the next day at work, in our conversations or activities, in phone calls, etc. And if by chance, someone didn't watch it and called during those sacred 30 minutes, I didn't pick up the phone. And if those clueless someones wanted to get together on Thursdays, well I already had plans "'cause my friends were coming over." Remember that? Remember how there was no DVR but that night was special and we all stayed home to keep our committment?

And now there's nothing that really makes me laugh. Nor is anything sacred. Sure, there's the push-the-envelope "ugh" that I don't laugh at nor do I laugh with my friends about the next day... It makes me wonder why I miss it so much. I've thought about it and I have a theory: maybe I miss it 'cause it reminds me of my first taste of t.v. and comedy itself. "Friends" was the grown-up version of "Sesame Street." Joey was Ernie; his roommate, Chandler, was of course, Bert. Phoebe was Big Bird. Ross was Snuffleupagus. Monica was definitely reminiscent of Oscar the Grouch; and Rachel was Grover. You can kinda see it, right? Those muppet-characters first introduced us to simple comedy, and then we laughed with their grown-up version in "Friends." But now ... nothing ... and I'm sad and disappointed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember your Thursday "friends are coming over" nights. That made me smile. Thanks to DVD you can have friends over every night if you wanted! :)

background